AKC S.T.A.R Puppy Program
The Regal Beagle is proud to offer the AKC S.T.A.R. puppy classes that helps get dog owners and their puppies off to a good start at living their best life. Training classes teach you, the owner, how to best communicate with your new puppy. Organized training classes also provide an opportunity to give your pup the introduction to socializing with other dogs and human alike.
The classes for the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy program are held on Saturday for 6 weeks. At the end of the 6 week program your AKC Certified dog trainer will administer the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy test. If you and your pup passes the course we will fill out the appropriate paperwork for you and a few weeks later your pup will receive:
- a gold medal
- a beautiful certificate designating your puppy is in the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy records at AKC
- monthly emailed newsletter from the AKC
So what are the benefits of signing up for the classes? What are the type of things my new puppy and I will learn together? Don't worry we got you covered. Just look at the section below and you will have have the answers!
The AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy Program - 20 Steps to a Successful Beginning
Before we start it's important to know what S.T.A.R. in the AKC S.T.A.R. puppy program stands for.
Socialization Training Activity Responsible
1. Maintains puppy’s health (vaccines, exams, appears healthy)
2. Owner receives Responsible Dog Owner’s Pledge
3. Owner describes adequate daily play and exercise plan
4. Owner and puppy attend at least 6 classes by an AKC Approved CGC Evaluator
5. Owner brings bags to classes for cleaning up after puppy
6. Owner has obtained some form of ID for puppy-collar tag, etc.
7. Free of aggression toward people during at least 6 weeks of class
8. Free of aggression toward other puppies in class
9. Tolerates collar or body harness of owner’s choice
10. Owner can hug or hold puppy (depending on size)
11. Puppy allows owner to take away a treat or toy
PRE-CANINE GOOD CITIZEN® TEST BEHAVIORS:
12. Allows (in any position) petting by a person other than the owner
13. Grooming-Allows owner handling and brief exam (ears, feet)
14. Walks on a Leash-Follows owner on lead in a straight line (15 steps)
15. Walks by other people-Walks on leash past other people 5-ft away
16. Sits on command-Owner may use a food lure
17. Down on command-Owner may use a food lure
18. Comes to owner from 5-ft when name is called
19. Reaction to Distractions-distractions are presented 15-ft away
20. Stay on leash with another person (owner walks 10 steps and returns)